Lithium-ion batteries are almost everywhere in modern-day life including in an e bike battery pack. Our laptops, tablets, smartphones, digital cameras, and many other things all have lithium-ion batteries. Li-ion battery chemistry is quite vital in these applications due to its high energy density. In simpler terms, li-ion batteries keep an unbelievable quantity of energy in a little, lightweight bundle. This permits many hrs of dependable service in between charges in whichever application these batteries are utilized.
With the growth of high-power li-ion batteries, we currently have a breakthrough in electric energy storage space as well as delivery technologies that make e-vehicles useful for transport demands. Before now, we did not have the ability to save enough electric energy in a light battery pack that additionally had the ability to provide that power to a vehicle fast enough to speed up hefty loads to beneficial speeds.
However, this utility includes requirements for a secure design, construction, maintenance, use, and storage. High energy storage always brings the risk that if energy is discharged in an unrestrained fashion, a possibly devastating situation can occur. Just like tossing a lit matchstick into a container of gasoline will certainly generate an extremely undesirable outcome, so can issues with the manufacture as well as the use of lithium-ion batteries.
Modern technology has allowed the secure usage and also storage of gasoline. We normally park our vehicles in our garages near to our living rooms without a reservation. Researchers and the battery market are striving to allow us the exact same comfort and security with respect to the adaptation of high-energy Li-ion batteries.
However, we aren’t there yet. Whilst we came a long way for developing stable and safe lithium-ion battery cells and also well-engineered, robust battery packs taking advantage of the power of those cells, possibly devastating failures do still take place.
E bikes are rapidly ending up being a practical component of our transportation framework, for reasons too countless to list here. Forward-looking bike shops have actually accepted the sale as well as service of e bikes as a successful and crucial aspect of their business.
But like gas stations adhere to special safety and security preventative measures to reduce the opportunity of an unrestrained fire, so must bike shops take safety preventative measures with the upkeep, storage, and distribution of the Li-ion battery packs utilized to power the e bike battery that they market and also service.
While recognizing that the opportunities of a Li-ion battery fire are small, the ramifications of battery fire are so substantial that these relatively straightforward steps are greater than warranted.
Please carefully consider these guidelines. In case you have inquiries or concerns, we at Melasta are available to aid with their implementation.
Set Up the E Bike Battery Charging and Storage Area
- Procure a fireproof storage cabinet. A lot of fire-resistant cabinets are furnished with flame arresting vents. Vent the cabinet to the outside, if feasible.
- Get a cabinet of enough size to hold numerous e bike batteries.
- The cabinet needs to be in a location free from cardboard, trash, paint, or any kind of combustible materials, or moisture and wetness.
- Keep all e-bike batteries in the fireproof closet.
- Establish a battery e bike charging cart nearby the fireproof cupboard. The cart needs to be of metal cable construction and also be equipped with wheels for very easy movement.
- Mount a fire extinguisher within very easy reach of the e bike battery charging station.
- Set up a smoke alarm on the ceiling, or anywhere high on the wall in close distance to the fire-resistant storage cupboard and charging station.
Li-Ion E Bike Battery Pack Storage Procedure
- Store all the li-ion e bike battery packs in your fire-resistant cupboard at all times.
- Don’t charge e bike battery packs in the storage cupboard. Only charge battery e bike packs on the charging cart.
- If you have a damaged e bike battery pack, keep it outside away from any type of combustible product. Consult your neighborhood fire department for advice on risk-free disposal of a damaged e bike battery pack. Don’t store e bike battery packs that are damaged in the fire-resistant cabinet.
- Li-Ion e bike battery pack charging procedure
- Only charge battery e bike packs with the UL Approved charger provided by the e bike maker. Don’t try to charge an e bike battery pack with generic battery chargers, or any other charging devices not provided by the e bike brand. It’s often practical to acquire an extra charger from the e bike brand to set up on a charging cart for charging.
- NEVER charge li-ion battery packs unattended or overnight.
- Check the charging terminal whilst the e bike battery packs are being charged. Once an e bike battery charger shows that the battery is completely charged, detach the battery charger from the power strip (or switch off the power strip), and store the battery e bike pack in the fire-resistant cabinet.
- NEVER open a li-ion e bike battery pack.
In Case of an Emergency Situation
If an e bike battery pack begins smoking, releasing unusual sound, or revealing indications of melted plastic:
- If possible, you can do it securely, put the pack in the water-filled can. If the water-filled can is not there, and it’s safe to do so, transport the pack outside, far from any flammable products.
- Quickly call 911 to call the fire department.
- If the battery e bike that is showing these symptoms is on an e bike battery charging cart, as well as it’s not possible to securely relocate to the water-filled bin, wheel the cart outside, far away from any flammable products.
- If it is safe, remove any type of additional battery packs through the charging cart to a secure area far from the failing e bike battery pack.
- Protect the fireproof cabinet by shutting the door to protect the e bike battery packs inside.
- Instantly leave the area if the remedial activities are not possible to carry out safely.
Notes on Battery Fires
- A lithium-ion battery fire typically takes place during discharging (use) or charging of the pack. That’s why it’s vital to only charge e bike battery packs if you can keep an eye on the charging process.
- A battery fire generally starts with a solitary battery cell. As the cell goes through thermal runaway, it will certainly combust and generate thick, poisonous smoke and severe heat. The warmth from the failing cell creates surrounding cells to ‘cook-off’ and also the fire expands in an unrestrained as well as dangerous fashion.
- The steps listed above are meant to reduce the fire. Putting an e bike battery pack with a cell in a thermal runaway in the water-filled can tends to cool down the nearby cells as well as impede or stop propagation.
- Damaged battery e bike packs are far more prone to catastrophic failure (fires) because of the possibility of internal short circuits or burst cells.
- We advise at the very least one fire extinguisher close to the storage closet and charging cart in case products near a failing e bike battery pack ignite. A traditional fire extinguisher won’t put out a Li-ion battery fire.
- The final treatment for a battery e bike pack fire is to allow it to burn itself out far from any kind of additional combustible materials.